Welcome to my blog...

Below you will find my reflections with regards to our weekly inquiry experiences. I am currently enrolled in the course 6662S-1, Investigating the Living World at Walden University. Please remember to scroll down to the most recent posts. Posts from previous classes are still present. Please note I will use the course number in my title to better help you identify my posts.

Curiosity Leads to Discovery

Curiosity Leads to Discovery

Sunday, December 5, 2010

6663: Natural Disasters Using Models Lesson (week 5)



In our Natural Disasters unit, students learned about the different types of natural disasters, what causes them, and what affects they have on earth as well as humans. The lesson I chose to conduct for this week explored volcanoes and earthquakes. Furthermore, students learned about plate tectonics through a model and enjoyed a reader's theater about Alfred Wegner. In addition, my students made a pop-up of a volcano, which identified all the parts and process. Next, my students created two cubes to replicate two faults, and made the motions to show how an earthquake takes place (when rocks snap). Students identified the difference between a focus and an epicenter. My students at first struggled with the "How Plates Create" activity because it involved a lot of vocabulary parts that are affected by the creation of a plate, movement of, and addition of a volcano to the situation.

3 comments:

  1. The shaker board simulates diffferent intensities of an earthquake. In my shared lesson plan this week, the first reference has the directions. Thanks for being my first comment. Plates are cool to study. I do not really get to them in fourth grade but now I see the value that can come from investigation. Loved what your students were able to do. I going to share this my fifth grade teachers and some of my students that want to know more. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see your Wegener reader's theatre. Can you share it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is from our textbook. I can try scan and post. But it would probably be clearer if you log on to the textbook.

    http://www.eduplace.com/eservices
    user: 5_tiger
    password: mammal

    Found on pg C46- C49 (chapter 7)

    Let me know if you have any problems viewing.

    ReplyDelete