Welcome to my blog...

Below you will find my reflections with regards to our weekly inquiry experiences. I am currently enrolled in the course 6662S-1, Investigating the Living World at Walden University. Please remember to scroll down to the most recent posts. Posts from previous classes are still present. Please note I will use the course number in my title to better help you identify my posts.

Curiosity Leads to Discovery

Curiosity Leads to Discovery

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Online Resources Week6 (6660)


Websites are a wonderful resource for students, but it is the skill of choosing a reliable source that at times may become difficult. In the beginning of the school year I teach my students about resources, and which websites are reliable, as I found many of my students using Wikianswers to complete their first research project. I explain to them that anyone can post a questions or an answer, therefore it was not a source the could use. As a result, I decided to start compiling my own list of websites for my students to use which appear under my “projects” tab (http://res.flaglerschools.com/user/lisowskia). So far Natural Disasters, Body Systems, and Motion have been a big hit. My students love the research project as well as a chance to collaborate with their peers. Student examples 1 and 2, my students prepared during a 40 minute activity where students were asked to research questions about their planet, each group was assigned a planet and the next day students presented their findings to the class. Student example 3, a group took notes on a united streaming video and presented to the class. While other groups researched another aspect of weather. Student example 4, shows students creating an emergency plan for a flood, and answered questions based on a rubric provide by me. Each group was assigned a different natural disaster. Students example 5, is a year long project my 5th graders have been working on; roadrunner which is our school mascot(see top of post). This was both a math and science lesson in the beginning of the year because my students needed to find and make the best paper Mache paste to attach the newspaper. In addition, during my math class we measured newspaper pieces 9 in. x 11in. (measurement), and students calculated area and perimeter (geometry). I will be posting an updated picture on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment